Wednesday, July 22, 2015

South Africa

Colonial Cross-Over


ONE of the great things about being a foreigner in China is that you are not only immersed in modern Chinese culture but also that of many other nationalities. I don't think I have ever been in a city where you run into so many people from so many different parts of the world. My point here is this: Shanghai is so diverse that while I was looking to move apartment earlier this year an opportunity came up to live in a two-bedroom apartment with a girl from Madagascar. Now I don't care where in the world you are from, that is the icing on the cake, the Inter in International. 

Along with this beehive of nationalities, you need to get the context of everyone's humor and cultural attitude. Sounds easy and it usually is. This morning's event at a teacher workshop was just the opposite. This workshop included myself (an Australian), a Canadian, an American, a Brit and a South African. None of us really knew each other so we were just talking about where we are from. I mentioned to the white South African guy, "South Africans really are a mixed bag of people and accents." 
He replied: "So am I. I am not a South African."
 I laughed thinking it was all a joke. I imagined myself saying I am not Australian. Things couldn't be further from the truth, especially when I think of my Outback roots. 
"So what are you," I asked mockingly. 
"I am a colonial South African," he answered, nose slowly tilting up. 
"What's that mean," I questioned between laughter. 
"That means my grandfather is from England," he boasted, nose now at 45 degrees. 

All of the teachers in the circle went quiet. It was a bit awkward. I thought to myself, how on Earth does that make you more colonial - or pioneering - than anyone else from an immigrant country, like Australia, Canada or America? At this point the only answer I can come up with is this: none of those countries are in Africa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment